Sunday, September 4, 2011

The small and simple things...

This past weekend I was listening to a talk from our most recent general conference. There was a story told that got me thinking about my life and how I so often forget to focus on the little things in my gospel life. As I was pondering this idea, I realized that perhaps I'm not actively seeking for the righteous things in my life with the zest that I could be. Not that I'm doing wrong, but that perhaps I'm not doing as much GOOD as I could be.

So, today I decided that I would like to re-commit to making scriptures a priority EVERY DAY. To re-commit to making daily prayer something that I really put my heart and soul into. And to attempt to find a real purpose in everything I do. (Sidebar) I think I spend too much time in my life doing things, but not really thinking about the purpose behind them - this includes both spiritual and worldly activities... What is my purpose in reading the scriptures. What is the purpose in teaching my kids how to add and subtract decimals... What would my life be like if I asked myself the purpose of all my activities? Maybe it won't make a difference... but I'm going to try it out!

And, though I'm horrible at it, a few things I'm grateful for right now are:

1. My awesome family, who love me even when I continually choose the "Y"... (inside family joke going on here...)
2. Wonderful roommates who really and truly set an example for me - it's amazing!
3. Being able to enjoy my job because I have a very uniquely FUN group, and am not spending all my time stressing about completing my homework! YEA!
4. The gospel - particularly the atonement - it' allows me to CHANGE who I am, in order to become who I WANT to be, and not who I "naturally" am. It's the power to BECOME and without it, I'd be a pretty lame person.
5. Revelation - what an amazing gift
6. Having a steady income.
7. My "healthy" body. (yeah, I could cut back on the sweets...)
8. Being an aunt. It's pretty much the coolest thing in the world.
9. Repentance.
10. Vacations - yes. I need one, and will have a short one this weekend!

Here's to a "fresh start" and choosing to focus on the little things - to see and seek for a purpose in ALL that I do, and remember that it's the little things that make life so much better!

No comments: