Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Anna's Prayer...

As we all know I'm not a very consistent blogger, and this happened about 2 months ago, but have been meaning (for two months) to share it with ya'll because it really touched me.

I have this little girl in my class named Anna. She's a really cute, bright, polite, funny little girl who sometimes acts like she's 7 going on 12. I had her older brother as a student about two years ago and have gotten to be friends with her mother, who comes in to help in the classroom each Friday. When her mom comes in, she brings her little sister along (Jane) who is 3 but likes to pretend that she's 7-8 like the other kids. She has her own desk with her name on it, her own crayon box, etc. The kids really like it and for a three year old, she behaves amazingly! It's been a fun part of my week this year and will be sad when the "family" moves onto 3 grade next year, because they are lots of fun and really neat to interact with.

Well, about two months on a Friday morning (I think it was the first week in December) Anna came up to me and gave me a little slip of paper (literally the size of a business card) which I quickly decided was an invite to a piano recital to be held that evening. I looked at it and told her that I would try to come but didn't know if I could make it on such short notice. I had something planned for that night and felt like it would be pushing it to get to both the recital and my other commitment in the short amount of time I had. So mulled over it all day and decided at the end of the day that kids only have recitals so often and they rarely invite their school teacher to attend, so I better go, since she took the time to give me the invitation and such. I was a little embarrassed to go since I was in my grubby jeans and ratty looking school sweatshirt, (since I'd stayed late a work that day) but felt the need to go despite my lovely attire. So, I got in the car, rushed off to find the location and arrived about 5 min before things were to start.

I walked into the music store entrance and was met by Anna's mother, who was the host of the recital, since she was the piano teacher of the students performing in the recital. She smiled at me and told me how glad she was that I could come. She's always so kind, so I didn't think anything of it and made some comment on how I was embarrassed that I wasn't dressed appropriately, but wanted to come anyway. She the proceeded to tell me that right before their family had left the house they had all knelt down to say a prayer that each child would do well while performing their piano pieces. Anna had said in the prayer, "and please help Miss Ellison to be able to make it to my piano recital"... or something along those lines, and her mother had been worried that if I didn't come, Anna would be disappointed and worried about her prayer not being answered. It really caught me off guard, because I had really debated on whether or not I had time to come, but had felt a NEED to go. It just goes to show that the faith of a small child is amazing! I was VERY grateful that I had decided to "listen" to that little prompting that told me that I should be there for this simple and uneventful little piano recital. It may not have been a big deal to Anna, but it helped me remember that even simple prayers can be answered if we have enough faith... Something to think about...

7 comments:

Pacers said...

That is the sweetest thing ever! Kid are amazing. :) I'm glad you answered her prayer!!

Haley said...

What a great story and what a cute teacher you are. I hope my kids have teachers just like you!!!

Camille said...

That is a really cute story...and a good thing for all of us to be reminded of. I bet you are an awesome teacher.

Kris said...

You've always been an answer to our prayers in every way!!! LOVE YOU!!!

Paige and Adam said...

I loved your story. I'm glad you blogged about it. Your students really are lucky to have you in their lives. I feel the same way! Thanks for your example! Love you!

Steve and Jamie said...

I've been to your class. You ARE a great teacher and your students are lucky little stinkers.

Tricia said...

... Stinkers is right! :)