Monday, June 9, 2008

Eye's & ER's

Well, latest updates in my health... two weeks after I sprained my ankle I attempted to play outdoor soccer, and ended up getting a bruise on my other shin:) So, I took another week off and tried playing in our outdoor soccer game. It went pretty well, but I decided to stay on the benches for our indoor game... THEN when I got there there wasn't enough girls to play, so I grabbed my stuff and started playing. I was feeling pretty good, considering... I did have to come out a few times due to my ankle.

Then, about 3/4 of the way through the game I took a ball to the face from about 3 feet away. It knocked my contact out, and me to the floor. I was pretty "upset" because I felt like I'd spent most of the game on the ground and I kept having to come out of the game. I found my contact and headed to the bathroom. At this point I couldn't SEE! I was thinking it might have to do with my contact, but once I got into the bathroom I realized that it wasn't my contact, I really COULDN'T SEE. So, I went back out and got some ice to help with the swelling that was happening on my left eyelid. After about 5 more min the game ended and I was joined on the bench by my teammates. They kept telling me my sight would come back, but since I COULDN'T SEE, I was kind of "Having a COW!" After another 15 min. we all decided that it was time to find a doctor. So, the adventure began...



We got back to my house and went through my insurance info. & made a call before we concluded that I could go to any ER to & still be covered by my insurance (it was about 10:45 at this point, but somehow it took us another hour to actually get to the ER). Once we (Paige & I & my friend Preston, who had driven me to & from my game) decided to go to the new hospital (aka the "death star"... named because of its size, not because the service is bad there...) I got into the emergency room pretty quickly & then waited for a doc. I was pretty much the only person in there that didn't look like they were gonna throw-up all over the place. The doctor came in pretty quickly, told me that he thought I had a bruise on my retina or something like that, but wanted to call an eye doctor to make sure that I didn't need a CAT-SCAN... he said he'd be back as soon as he had word.

After about 30 min of waiting in a room by myself I called Paige & Preston and they came back to keep me company. I think everyone thought we were on crack, because we were laughing & joking around in my room... after almost 2 hours of waiting (it was about 2am by now) the ER doc sent me home and told me that I he would call me in the morning & I would need to go see an eye doctor then. By this point my eye sight was coming back and was about 85% clear. So, I wasn't too worried anymore and agreed to do so. The eye doctor said that it was a bruise & that things looked okay. The worst part of the whole thing was that he told me not to do anything strenuous for 10 days! That's a LONG TIME! But, somehow I made it through... but I'm back to being flab city! At least I can see though!

(This is me and Paige waiting in my room at the hospital... throughout the whole ordeal, my naturally blue eye turned from blue to green, to brown, and back to blue. I am guessing that it was from the bleeding that was happening, which is essentially why I couldn't see... the blood was flowing over my retina which was what was blocking my vision... man my life is so "exciting". :) Or at least strange... who does this? )



4 comments:

Kris said...

Crash Ellison has returned! We thought she had left the house but I guess she has snuck back in! Looks like you are up to your old tricks again....everybody watch out! Love you and BE CAREFUL!!!!

Kama said...

Tricia, my fellow clutz cuz- You've had a rough time honey! I have hurt myself every soccer game lately too and I found out that I have exercise-induced asma to top it off. So now I just get to be high on steroids every game. You should get yourself some of that, it might help you! :)Be careful! Give me a call sometime, so we can have a GNO. Love ya-Kama

Steve and Jamie said...

Nice. I really love the last picture. You've got kind of a chipmunk-with-a-swollen eye-look goint on.

I can't wait to see you in a few days!

Nichole Bruce said...

Wow! You've got some talent! but PLAESE be careful! I"m afraid of what I'll read about on your next post!