Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sprains and "Ta-Ta's"

On May 7th, (a month ago) I was playing in an indoor soccer game and had a most "graceful" run-in with the goalie. As I came down on my left foot, I felt a "popping" up above my ankle and then felt instant pain. I thought that I had broken something and calmly started screaming like a crazy person. I think it was mostly out of "fear" that I had messed something up, because about 2 weeks earlier I was commenting on how it had been at least 5 years since I'd really had a "serious" injury - I should've keep my big mouth shut... must 've brought on bad karma or something. The worst part was that I was already signed up to run the "Race for the Cure" that was coming up three days later on the 10th - I wasn't about to miss that! It's one of my favorite races that we try to run each year...

This year, Paige and I went so far as to sign up to volunteer on Thursday evening with the registering. We helped with the actual registration and had a good time. We got free T-shirts (YES!) and met lots of people throughout the evening. Definitely worth my time.

Well, being the smart cookie that I am, of course I ran it anyways. I love that race! It's so inspiring and gives me the chills as I look at all the people running in "celebration of" or in "memory of" someone who has had breast cancer. I always end up fighting back tears... I'm such a baby! But it really is amazing to see the support & love that people have for their friends and family and strangers who are going through the same hard things that they have experienced. On a lighter note... the other part of the race that I like a lot is the array of great shirts that you see wondering around...some aren't appropriate to put online so I'll let you use your imagination... but my favorite this year said, "Save the Ta-Ta's!". Next year I think that I/we should come up with a shirt of my own... anyone that wants to join in is more than welcome to offer up their ideas. (I'm planning on taking a "team" of runners/walkers next year - so plan for it now! :) )





The race itself was a little difficult because my ankle/lower leg hurt like the dickens... I ended up over compensating for the pain in my left side and caused some tight muscle issues in my right leg. BUT, I made it through and it was worth it!

SO, everyone start training now, because I expect all of you to be joining me as team "....." (fill in the blank) next year!

3 comments:

Steve and Jamie said...

How 'bout "Running in celebration of LaVerne and Shirley" with arrows pointing to your ta-tas?

Nichole Bruce said...

Your pretty tough girl! I'm totally impressed.
So i'm not a runner, but if it's okay, I want in for next year. When it comes time, let me know what I have to do to sign up.

Marnie said...

Way to go! I love races. Maddie and Joey just ran an all-childrens race this morning in downtown Boise and it nearly brought me to tears just seeing their hard work & accomplishment. Love it.