Saturday, November 3, 2007

My Tomato Plant:)



This was my Tomato Plant. I planted it just after school got out, so about the middle of June. I was VERY excited to have a "garden" item of my very own to take care of. Yes I know I am a nerd - no need to point fingers and make fun. I'm secure in my nerd-ness.

Over the summer I watered and tended to my little tomato plant, but there were few tomato's growing on my precious little "garden" plant. My flowers started to take off, but I wasn't seeing any buds on the plant so I began to worry a bit. In fear that I may fail at being a gardener (I don't do well with failure... its rather sad) I talked to the master gardener (My Father) and he told me to stop watering it so much, self attempt to self-pollinate(is that spelled right - probably not:) ) some of the flowers, and maybe step on it a bit. So I slowed the watering and broke a few minor branches and rubbed all the flowers together in hopes that I may get a few tomato's out of the plan... yet beginning of september, only one ripe tomato was visable! So I broke the branches a bit more, and we got maybe 2-4 more tomatoes. Not very exciting! So a few weeks ago I went to "look through the massive moster bush, and see if there were any tomatoes hiding inside the dense plant and I ended up knocking the dang thing over!


HOWEVER to my suprise, there were at least a dozen tomatoes ready for picking on the back side (fense side) of our plant. So, I proped the plant back up and gave it a MAJOR hair cut. I filled up two and a half garbage bags with "tomato plant" remains. Moral of the story, sometimes our treasures are there, they are just hidden and we have to knock everything over to find them. Okay so it's not a great moral, but I'm doing what I can:)

(Yes, I put on this outfit special for the "harvesting" of the tomato plant... Arent' you glad I decided to look the part!)

1 comment:

Steve and Jamie said...

You already know that I love the outfit, but thanks for the great moral to the story. I like garden analogies. I think it comes from listening to dad's talks for so many years.