Friday, October 5, 2007

7 year olds...

So, two weeks ago there was a child taken from one of the second grade teachers classes and placed in my class, due to his "behavior" issues. I being the "charitable" (right!) person that I am said I would take him, since my other students were really well behaved and quite enjoyable... what was I thinking!

So the past two weeks my life has been full of exciting experiences while I attempt to learn how to be patient... again, what was I thinking! This new student is constantly off task - literally - and spends most of his days in "think time" or time out. I have tried my best to not loose my temper with him, but today I guess I reached the boiling point.

Becuase of all of the time outs he has had the past 5 days, he had to go to "in school suspension" for the entire day. So, once he got to school - he was late of course - I sent him to do his "suspension" in another classroom and then as he came back from lunch he landed himself BACK in think time before we even got inside the building. As he came back to class from the time out he was interupting the class once again - SO I decided he would do the rest of his work in the hall - I shut the door to my room and the room next door. As I shut the door next door, I pushed a door stop out of the way then went back into my classroom to give my kids a test. I came back a few min later to check on him (to make sure he wasn't running up and down the halls...) I went to open the door, but it only opened an inch. So I closed it thinking he had moved his desk enough to block to the door. I tried to open it again, but again it wouldn't open... So I looked down and noticed that the door stop that used to hold the neighbors door OPEN was keeping MY door shut. I was "locked" in my classroom by a 7 year old! While I admit the idea was quite brilliant, when he finally pulled the stop out of the door, I was livid! I don't normally get TOO upset when my kids are being naughty, but I couldn't believe that he had "locked" me inside of my room! It was the last straw! I walked out and asked him why he had done that, and he said it was becuase I hurt his feelings when I sent him to think time. So, then I really was upset! As if I like sending my kids to time out... I proceeded explain my feelings on this (that I thought it was high time he quite blaming his think times on other people and realize that it was HIS behavior that put him there and nobody elses) but man I was ticked off!

So, needless to say I don't think I will every leave him in a hall with a doorstop again. I don't know if I'll ever turn my back to him either - you never know what he'll do the next time his feelings are hurt... I may just need some professional counciling. Boy, I love my job! :)

2 comments:

Steve and Jamie said...

I know a good psychologist if you need some professional counseling. I might even need a little counseling myself when I come visit.

Marnie said...

Just be grateful you get to go home at the end of the day. This too shall pass. :)