Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Day 8... Portland

It was the last leg of the trip and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I had only been to Portland once and quite briefly at that, so it was fun to really see what the city had to offer, even though we only had one full day to do it. We started off by going to a "farmers market" style shopping area... I can't think of what it was really called. It was pretty cool. Then we went to a gigantic bookstore and of course the teacher in me won out and I purchased a few books (used... so they were CHEAP!) Preston and I also purchased a gift for Paige there. It was a journal made of elephant dung - long story - it has to do with a pet name she kept using when talking to Preston - and no it wasn't anything bad, just funny:) Anyway, after we went to the bookstore, we stopped for lunch and it was pretty tasty.




Then we headed to the local garden area. There was a Japanese Garden, which was beautiful! It was very interested to see all the different styles of gardens... rock, sand, water, etc. It was amazing! We of course didn't stay totally serious the whole time, but it was probably the longest period of somberness for the whole trip.













After the Japanese Garden, we went to the ever famous Rose Garden. I really enjoyed seeing the different types of roses, especially since I had just started my own flower business weeks before. I didn't know how they really grew on the bush, so I thought it was cool to see the long stems growing and how they look on the plant. It was cool... while we were there, Paige tried out her Photography skills... not bad... I told her the second one almost looked like an engagement photo... too bad I am not in the market for such services! But way to go Paige :)




We ended the evening with a walk through the local mall and a short drive for dinner at the Cheese Cake Factory. I thought that the day was enjoyable and was glad that we had the chance to spend the day there... I'd do it all over again.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Isn't it the best? Now you know why we came, we saw, and we stayed! Such a cool, fun city!

Steve and Jamie said...

Are we there yet?